Submitted by lmcshane on Thu, 01/31/2008 - 22:11.
*Note this man is riding on the highway off-ramp for the West 25th exit (not recommended!!!:)
Northern Ohio’s bicycle groups are coming together to produce the first ever “Cleveland Bicycle Week” May 12 – 16, 2008.
Participating groups so far include Walk+Roll Cleveland, Ohio City Bicycle Co-op, ClevelandBikes, City of Cleveland, NOACA, Thunderhead Alliance, EcoCity Cleveland, Earth Day Coalition, Cleveland Metroparks, Cleveland Area Mountain Bike Association, BikeLakewood, YMCA and The Cleveland Clinic. The idea is to promote cycling during National Bike Month by hosting fun and educational activities. Some of the activities being planned include:
- May 12-16 - Bike To Work activities each weekday morning. With enough sponsors, we want to encourage participation by offering the first XX riders a different bicycle accessory each morning. At the end of the week, a person who rides each day could accumulate a free headlight, taillight, pump, lock and seatpack with a total value of $110!
- Mon, May 12 - Bike To The Movies at The Natural History Museum.
- Tue, May 13 - Discover Mountain Biking in the city at the Cleveland Metroparks' first mountain bike trail at the Canalway Reservation.
- Wed, May 14 - Possibly a Progressive Dinner Dine-A-Round visiting two or three restaurants along the way. Those that didn’t want to ride back could take the Rapid back to the starting point.
- Thur, May 15 - Possibly a visit from “The Metal Cowboy” who has written numerous articles for Outside, Bicycling Magazine, etc plus has written a couple of books. He is a pied piper of bicycling who puts on a humorous and inspiring family-friendly show
- Thur, May 15 - One-day conference for government officials, health and wellness agencies, the media and any other interested parties.
- Fri, May 16 - Celebration of Cycling at Cleveland City Hall. The Executive Director of the League of American Bicyclists will be in town to announce the results of Cleveland’s application for a Bicycle Friendly Community award.
To volunteer, participate or to become a sponsor, email: Lois Moss of Walk+Roll Cleveland, Kevin Cronin of ClevelandBikes or Jim Sheehan of Ohio City Bicycle Co-op.